Today we had a field trip to Antwerp- where all the diamonds come from! Except, wouldn't you know, that the day they decided to take us to Antwerp is the day of the week that the diamond museum is closed?! The first thing we saw when we got out of the train station is a REALLY nice car stopped down what looks like a ramp that leads to a garage tunnel and a bunch of policemen. We quickly figure out it is not a ramp, but a set of stares that leads to the train station! All of us americans pulled out our cameras and took pictures:) The day ended up being pretty unproductive. The tour wasn't planned very well I don't think. Our tour was 3 hours long and most of it was spent walking to our destination- except we only saw 3. We saw the tallest high-rise building in Europe (well it was the tallest in 1928), a cathedral that didn't have a name, and Rubens (the painter!) house. The house was really cool. It had a lot of his paintings in it and a booklet that told about each painting! I enjoyed this the best because I had studied him in art history! It was neat knowing that he once walked in the same room I was walking in! Afterwards, a bunch of us left to come back to the hotel. It is a dreary day and started raining just as we got to the metro station. I suppose this is what the weather is usually like here, but we've been pretty lucky and had fairly good weather most of the time. Tonight a bunch of the girls are going to see the Sex and the City movie because it just came out today!
It turns out that I won't be traveling anywhere this weekend. The group I was going to go with split up at the last minute. One guy is going to Switzerland by himself, The people who are dating are going to Italy by themselves, and another group is going to Germany but have already booked their rooms. I know I have enough traveling knowledge that I'm sure I could go somewhere and be okay, but I'd rather not be alone! I was a little bummed at first, but I'm okay now because a LOT of people are staying this weekend. We are going to go all over Brussels seeing all of the things we haven't seen yet. A lot of museums, the Atomium, things of that nature. I'm really excited because I would hate to have been in Brussels for 5 weeks and seen nothing that makes it famous! It will also give me time to get my projects done because next week is the last week and they will be due! I've taken a few pictures, but not very many. I added them anyway! Love you!

1 comment:
Your plan to see Brussels more in depth sounds like a good one to me! You know how much we enjoyed just seeing everything in Florence. Sometimes you run accross great surprises when you least expect them. Have fun!
Post a Comment