Friday, May 23, 2008

Brugge!

Yesterday was our class field trip to Brugge.  It is possibly one of the most beautiful places in the world!  We all met in the lobby of the hotel at 8:30 am and headed for the train station.  Our train ride lasted about an hour and when we got there we split into 2 groups.  We took a walking tour around Brugge, which isn't very big.  All of the buildings look very old, except most of them were built in the 19th century.  One particular building, the old hospital, was very pretty and set on the bank of one of the canals!  We also saw the parliament buildings, which look similar to the ones in Brussels and some of the  churches they have.  There were also lots of swans!  They all looked so pretty!  I wanted to see some of them kissing, but I guess they weren't in the mood!  After our walking tour, we took a boat tour!  We basically saw everything we saw on the walking tour, but by boat.  And there was a huge difference!  The houses and buildings look beautiful from the water!  And getting to go underneath the bridges was pretty cool, too.  Our boat tour was only about 30 minutes and then it was time for lunch.  A group of us found this one restaurant to eat at.  I got spaghetti bolognaise and Janet got lasagna bolognaise.  The spaghetti wasn't really that good.  The meat sauce was almost like spaghetti with vegetable soup on top.  I ate the pasta though.  I tried Janet's lasagna and it was DELICIOUS!! I can't wait to try some lasagna here and see how it tastes!  After lunch we got to walk around on our own and we wanted to try some of the chocolate.  There were plenty of stores to choose from, but we liked this one store that was basically all white inside except for the chocolate!  They were having a spring deal and you could get a box of 12 pralines for 3.50 euros!  (Pralines are chocolate candies with different fillings inside them!)  I bought the special and got to pick out different pralines to try.  I'm still working on eating them, but they all taste delicious so far!  We walked around a little bit more and just took pictures, but there wasn't really anything else to do so we went and sat on a bench and rested for a little while.  It was a pretty peaceful rest too!  It was beautiful and the trees gave off a really nice shade.  We got on the train around 4:30 and took a nap because we were so exhausted!  I can't believe that 2 weeks have already flown by!  I put more pictures on of Brugge so hopefully you enjoy them!

1 comment:

G'mom said...

Sounds like you had a lovely day in Brugge! I would certainly have enjoyed going in the chocolate shop. You know, of course, that chocolate is one of the top health foods, right?