Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Chocolate Factory!

Today was a pretty fun day!  We had psych class this morning and we did literature reviews for 3 hours.  That wasn't really all that fun, but we got to leave a little early because the wireless internet wasn't working!  I came back to the hotel room and made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, except that the stuff I thought was peanut butter isn't really!  It turns out I got some kind of "paste" and it tastes exactly like nutter butters!  It is SO delicious!  We headed for the chocolate factory at 1:15 pm.  The whole time we were walking all I could think of was the "I Love Lucy" episode where her and Ethel got jobs at the chocolate factory!  They had to work on the conveyer belt and ended up stuffing chocolate in their mouths and shirts because the belt was moving so fast!  When we got there we watched a movie on how cocoa beans were harvested and how chocolate was made.  Chocolate isn't actually called chocolate until you add sugar, milk, and other ingredients.  Until then it is just called cocoa.  After the movie, one of the workers came to talk to us about the history of chocolate.  Chocolate bars weren't really created until the 20th century!  Before the 20th century, chocolate was created as a drink for the rich!  After our talk, we put on our aprons, hats, and booties for our shoes.  We all looked like a stellar bunch! :)  Then we entered the chocolate room and it was SO cold!  Our instructor demonstrated for us what we were supposed to do and then just let us all take a turn!  We all took turns making molds and filling the molds with some kind of whip they had already made.  It was so much fun!  We had so much chocolate to eat that I was actually kind of sick of chocolate when we left!  But that didn't last long...I had some chocolate for dessert after dinner tonight:)  We got to bring some of our chocolate back with us, but that will be gone before the end of the week...no worries though because I am going to bring some Belgian chocolate back when I come home!  You will all get to taste how delicious it is!  One really cool thing our instructor went over is how healthy chocolate is for your body (within limits of course!).  He told us if you wake up with a headache, eat a piece of chocolate!  If you feel sad, eat a piece of chocolate!  But then, he said, the most important is that chocolate is like viagra for men...but only if you eat 2 kilos of it! :)  We all thought that was pretty funny, because that's a LOT of chocolate!  I have added a couple of pictures from the chocolate factory.  There aren't many because my hands were covered in chocolate, but hopefully you get the gist of it!

No comments: